Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Remember Who You Represent

There seem to be a bunch of popular themes ... And they're all similar. "Remember who you are". "Be yourself".

And while "to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you anyone else is one of the greatest fights you ever will fight"*, I do believe that there is something greater than to simply be and represent yourself.

*I've seen similar quotes attributed to numerous people... That's the trouble with quotes on the internet, it is difficult to determine if they are genuine. - Abraham Lincoln. hehe*

I don't want to just be... me.

Because when the only thing you have to stand up for is yourself... you don't really have much of a purpose, do you?

Yes, I do believe you should be yourself... Stand outside the giant melting pot of society...
But when when Paul wrote to the Romans and told them, "Do not conform to the patterns of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is. His good, pleasing and perfect will." (Romans 12:2)
I don't think he was implying that man can stand alone against the patterns of this world - rather, if you surrender to someone greater and wiser, He can and will transform your mind.

Because let's be honest here... I'm not that great. You're not that great.
I've done stupid things... You've done stupid things. And I'm sure we will both continue to do so.
But that's not the reputation I want.

My pastors at my church always pray before their sermons that any words they speak that are from them, that they will be forgotten, but the words they speak from God would be remembered.
That's being a representative of someone greater.

Today while doing math homework, watching the snow fall and swirl outside leaving me stuck inside with no need or want to go out, I was mindlessly listening to ibetheltv's Youtube channel - playing various songs sung by various worship leaders... (all while furiously studying math, I promise. hehe) When one of Jeremy Riddle's "spontaneous worship" moments caught my ear.

"Now I have a purpose. Now I have a destiny. You've made me for Your glory, You've made me for Your glory."

Remember who you represent. In Him is your purpose. In Him is your destiny.


(Not the same song as the above quoted spontaneous line... But I thought this one was fitting nonetheless. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment